Tyke's Story

Tyke the Elephant

Tyke was a 20 year old female African bush elephant from Mozambique. She was with Circus International in Honolulu, Hawaii. And she is best known as the elephant who rebelled against her circus.
She was stolen from her family when she was just a baby and thrust into a life of torment and abuse for 2 decades. She was confined to a small concrete room, and beaten over and over again with a bullhook to break her spirits.
Tyke had tried to escape the circus a few times. Her first attempt was in April, 1993. She then made another attempt a few months later in July. However, both were unsuccessful and both of her warning signs - her built up rage was a sign that she was a threat to the public - were ignored.
Until finally on August 20, 1994, Tyke had enough. She entered the circus ring at Blaisdell Arena kicking around what looked like a dummy to the audience. “We thought it was part of the show.” One witness told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.
However, everyone soon realized that the dummy was actually a severely injured groomer. As the audience fled for the exits, Tyke went on to attack and fatally crush her trainer who tried to intervene before fleeing the arena.
For nearly 30 minutes, Tyke ran through the streets of the Kakaako neighbourhood’s business district at rush hour. The circus promoter was also nearly trampled over when he tried to fence her in.
The confusion and fear were very clear and obvious in her eyes as she ran through the streets, crashing into cars and banging into buildings.
It was an intense foot chase between her and the Honolulu police, who eventually shot her nearly 100 times. It took almost 2 excruciating hours for her to pass on as she succumbed to nerve damage and brain haemorrhages. Tyke was left to die alone in the streets, afraid and in pain.
Ever since this tragic incident with Tyke, no elephant has performed with Circus International. And after activist group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals created a petition against the Moscow International Circus for performing in Honolulu with “wild animals”, a circus spokesman told Honolulu Star-Advertiser that animals will now be excluded from shows.
To do your part in putting an end to animal circuses, we urge you to avoid and stop supporting circuses that exploit animals, and instead, support circuses that do not use animals for entertainment. You can also support or volunteer with organizations that help fight for animal rights.

Comments

  1. How sad :( Ugh. Animals in captivity just make me sad. I went to Africa at the beginning of this year and it was amazing to see them all in the wild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ringling Brothers just actually stopped using elephants in their circus which I thought was a big step!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That poor animal had had it--she no longer trusted any person and I don't blame her one bit. I don't go to any circus-I think my parents took me once and I was just not interested! I hope others see this and refuse to go where animals might be being abused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is horrible. I wish we could have more of the peaceful animal appreciation. Like the safaris where we don't engage or trap them just admire them from a safe distance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its very sad . We should respect the animal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always sad to hear about animals who are being in captivity. Elephants are too large to stay in one small area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It breaks my heart. It is really a sad story. Elephant seems to me friendly and kind. For me it is an obligation of a human to properly care our nature and of course animals too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sad. I hate it when animals are Maltreated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I can imagine how troubling all this can be. Breaks my heart to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It makes me terribly to sad to hear of any animal suffering. It is totally unacceptable for any animal to be treated this way, utterly heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting story... I think Circus International learned their lesson and saw what animal exploitation can do

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I'm glad I read this, it's so informative. We need to start treating our animals better before it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sad! They really should not keep animals captive!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So tragic and senseless -- for the animals and for the people killed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sad to hear Tyke's story and hope this will not happened again to other animals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This breaks my heart into pieces. Animals should be taken care of us not to mistreat them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. People will never know how it feels like to be an animal. Just put your feet on their shoes and be like them. This should be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh this is so sad. I hate hearing about animals like this. I just watched the Trailer for Dumbo and sobbed

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really sad story. Thanks for telling this poor animal's story

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know how I never heard about this! But I feel like it's something that needs to be shared so others know how the animals are treated.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you for sharing this heartbreaking yet hopeful story. I can just feel Tyke's pain and my heart is hurting. Good thing animal circuses are being banned mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I could never understand why people enjoy seeing animals that are supposed to be free held captive. It is sad. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is extremely Heartbreaking ..
    This should not be the way we treat animals :'(
    Thank you dear to share this article with us ..
    extremely Sad

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so sad and heartbreaking - why would anyone still go to a circus - thank you for posting this

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a tragic story. No wild animal should be confined and mistreated. I’m sorry for what happened to everyone involved, but I am glad that it led to much-needed change.

    ReplyDelete
  26. No animal should ever have to endure this, the people who captured, 'trained' and paid to see this animal perform should be ashamed of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a sad story. It just breaks my heart that animals are treated this way.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a horrible thing to happen. I remember being a little girl and going to the circus for the first time. The elephants were my favorite part of the show, but as I grew older and learned more, I felt guilty for loving their acts so much. Thankfully I can't think of any circuses here in the US that still use animals, at least not traveling circuses, if any still exist.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It’s sad that something this wasteful and traumatically tragic has to happen before change happens. It’s important that stories like this continue so that Tyke’s life and struggles are not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a truly awful story. I don't support circuses because of the known cruelty to animals. -Tonya Morris

    ReplyDelete
  31. We are the weird family that doesn't like to go to the zoo or circus or anything else that has captive animals. It hurts our hearts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts