Why You Should Not Buy Dyed Chicks for Easter

Cruelty isn’t cute


Easter, also called Pascha or Resurrection Sunday, is a festival and holiday commemorating the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. For many of us, it is a day of celebration and gatherings with friends and family on Easter Sunday.
Every Easter Sunday, huddled next to chocolate shaped bunnies, egg-shaped jelly beans and baskets full of goodies, and children can find live, fluffy and even colourful baby chicks available for sale.
However, for these chicks, Easter would be far from a celebration as they are repeatedly abused and neglected and treated like objects.
These chicks are bought as novelties for children. However, pets are supposed to be thought of as a companion rather than a toy. When these chicks are dyed bright pink, purple, yellow, green, blue or orange, they seem more like toys and objects.
“Anything that encourages people to take an animal into their home without thinking of the long term effects is going to have a negative impact on the animals,” stated Inga Fricke, director of sheltering and pet care issues at The Humane Society of the United States.
There are a few methods farmers use to dye their chicks. Some simply dump their chicks into plastic bins with no regard for their safety or comfort before drenching them with dye and mixing them around as if they were mixing slime. No doubt these delicate chicks would sustain injuries.
Others might be gentler, spraying the chicks with dye and claiming it does not harm the chicks in any way. However, it may cause these young chicks stress.
Other farmers choose to inject the dye directly into the embryo of the chick before it hatches. They claim that the dye is non-toxic and after a few weeks as the chicks moult and grow feathers, the colour will disappear.
However, the problem lies when the small hole is drilled through the egg. There’s a risk where farmers could potentially introduce bacteria into the embryo or even injure the embryo.
But the saddest part of this “tradition”, is that a large majority of these chicks will be dumped and abandoned either once Easter is over or when they grow and lose their colourful feathers.
Though the Humane Society does not have any specific numbers of just how many chicks are abandoned, shelters nationwide have said that they see an increase in chicks, ducks, and rabbits being rescued from dumpsters or brought to them during Easter time.
Chicks who are dumped into parks often become prey animals for larger predators because they are still young and have yet to learned how to find food for themselves and properly defend themselves.
Fortunately, at least half of the states in America have implemented laws that ban the dyeing of animals and several poultry farmers say they no longer do it as well.
If you are considering getting a pet chicken or rabbit for your child this year, the ASPCA recommends you give them a candy instead. However, if you are truly ready for the commitment of getting a new companion, always remember to adopt, and don’t shop.

Comments

  1. I honestly don't think any animal should be bought as holiday gifts anyway. I am a farm kid and I worked at a farm supply store that sells chickens. People would come in all the time and try to buy chicks as gifts for their children. We ended up having to make a rule that you can't buy chicks as gifts. It would make people so mad but it was becoming an issue. They fail to realize that that chicks are living beings that can feel pain. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has always bothered me, bunnies and chicks are usually free after Easter from everyone buying them for Easter but not prepared to take care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely not buy dyed chicks even though they could look intriguing. That's such cruelty and I'm surprised by the procedure behind that. So inhumane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annemarie LeBlancMay 7, 2019 at 10:30 PM

    I never did agree to my kids buying dyed chicks. That is horrible. Those little chicks should be where they belong - at a farm, not in a box in someone's house. I hope this practice will stop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't know that dyed chicks were bought as a tradition for Easter. I recently saw an animated video of male chickens being crushed in the food industry. It was animated video yet I felt extremely sad. I absolutely agree with the candy part. It is much better than torturing animals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! I have never seen these colored chick before. My 9 year old loves animals but we would never buy these because it’s torture. It’s ridiculous the levels humans can go to for earning cash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I did not even know about these and definitely would not think about buying them if I did see them somewhere.... can't imagine the cruelty we mete out to these poor creatures..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea people were doing this. I don't buy pets or animals for gifts anyways, unless it was a long thought out decision and happy to be a family gift idea as a surprise when we were already planning it. Pets are forever, and we just put our family dog to sleep so it will be a LONG time before I'm ready to take on any new forever babies, even if they're dyed chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not that you could even do such things. It always bother me when people used animals for those frivolous reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one has been stopped for the longest time here in PH. Hopefully not to go back ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't find this happening at my present location. I did not know such things are still being carried out. It's a wrong thing for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already seen something dyed chicks like these in front of churches somewhere in Asia. Children are really attracted to it. And I hated how the vendors dyed these chicks just for kid's toy for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why would anyone want to dye them that is just cruel and totally agree with adopting and not buying from a shop x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wasn't really aware of the dyeing chicks. Thank you for letting me know. I don't think I would be even interested in buying them. These might look cute but is an cruel practice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is not just done. The poor chicks have to go through such harassment. So good that you are raising awareness against such an act

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poor things. There used to be dyed chicks for sale here in the Philippines. It's a good thing I don't see those anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did not know that people even did this! it is horrendous to imagine what an animal has to go through for them to buy dyed chicks

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen this before. If only I could buy them all and set them free. Poor animals. They were played by people and the worst thing it can lead them to death.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never thought of that. People would dispose of the chicks after Easter is over. Then again, I did not know it was even an option to purchase dyed chicks, it doesn't seem like a life they expected to live. Thank you for sharing and making us all aware.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember back in grade school, my Mom bought lots of these and placed them in her incubator. Eventually they became of pets and starts to breed for our consumption.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I live in Canada and I have never seen nor heard of such a practice up here. I don't think it would even be legal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have Easter holiday every year but I am not really aware of these information. Thanks for let me learning this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This makes me upset. It's sad that some people do animal cruelty just to earn money. I hope this practice will be stopped soon. Thanks for sharing this informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a clear animal rights violation. And I agree, animals should not be bought as holiday gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look very cute and adorable. That's a very informative post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts