Tail Docking, the Unnecessary Mutilation of Dogs


Tail docking refers to the removal of all or a portion of a dog’s tail. This is mainly done for cosmetic purposes so that the dog will look a certain way. Hunting dogs and terrier breeds will typically have their tails docked.
However, tail docking can sometimes be done for medical reasons. Such as damage from frostbites or fractures in the tail.  
Tail docking can be done in two ways. The first involves blocking the blood supply to the tail with a tight rubber band or a rubber ligature (a piece of thread used in a medical procedure) for a few days until the tail falls off. The second involves the removal of the tail using surgical scissors or a scalpel.  
The procedure is done usually when the puppy is only 2 to 5 days old when their tail is still “soft”, and without the use of any anaesthesia or pain relievers. The reason behind this is because even though the procedure will certainly cause pain, the puppy is not fully alert and hence will not remember it.
Though some claim that it does not even cause any pain because the nervous system of the puppy is not fully developed. However, this is not true. The basic nervous system of dogs would already have been fully developed at birth.
Docking the tail of a dog involves cutting through muscles, tendons, and several highly sensitive nerves and serving the bone and cartilage connections.
During the healing process, damage to the tissues can cause the dog even more unnecessary pain. There is also the risk of inflammation and infections that can occur during this time. Tail docking can also cause unnecessary and avoidable long term chronic pain and distress to the dog.
Docked tails can also develop a neuroma, or nerve tumour. This can cause pain and make your dog aggressive if their tail is touched.  
Just like how dogs use their ears to communicate, they also rely on their tails for non-verbal communications and serves a critical role in their social behaviour. They can indicate friendliness, submission, a warning, fear, among other messages, depending on the position and movement of their tails.
The American Kennel Club (AKC) supports this procedure, saying the practices are “integral to defining and preserving breed character” in certain breeds.
However, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) opposes docking of tails and cropping of ears and encourages the elimination of cropping and docking from breed standards.
The process of tail docking has been banned in several countries, including Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany, and Australia. In the U.K., tail docking can only be carried out by a registered veterinary surgeon. However, in the U.S., these procedures are unregulated and not controlled.
If you ever considered docking your dog’s tail, just ask yourself, is it worth putting your dog through unnecessary pain and increase the risk of infections and neuroma, just to obtain a “desirable” look?

Comments

  1. I can't do tail docking to my dog because I like it the natural way it is. That's my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think I would like anything snipped off from me so I wouldn't do it to a dog either. Good read. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see value in what amounts to cosmetic surgery in an animal. I would never have it done, unless it was medically necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is totally no point to doing this just for the sake of competitions. Just makes me feel sad that such things even exist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People will do some weird things to win. To do this to a dog is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree! It's unnecessary and I can't imagine it wouldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where I don’t agree with it being done for “show” sometimes it’s necessary. We have springer spaniels and they are hunting/working dogs and we need to keep their tail very neat and trim so that it doesn’t get caught in bushes/torn. We learnt this the hard way when the dog got stuck and damaged his tail just running through a bush in a field one day when out for a walk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard of docking the tail of a dog and not knowing the reason why. Glad to learn about it here. I have a dog who is about 5 years old now but we didn't send him for the precedure. Reason was simply I feel it is so painful if I were the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought that Tail docking can be used for medical purposes. BUt it was really good to know rather than using it for a cosmetic purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just feel that dogs are like people, too. Nobody deserves to be mutilated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! I would never even think about tail docking to our dogs. The fact that some do it to their pets for cosmetic purposes makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think it should be allowed anywhere. that is is just too cruel! there might be reason for it years back but definitely no need for it in modern days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate when people adjust animals. I can understand fixing them. However, I can't understand the tail, ears, and feet adjustments that are done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Humans are the worst. Using animals as if they are material property

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree with this post. It is so sad what happens to our little furry friends.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our family dog had this happen. I don't understand why we would do something like that to an animal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This makes me so sad. Animals shouldn't have to go through such a painful process. Wish this practice would stop for good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What the world?!? This is a thing? That's totally animal abuse. I don't even want to read the blog post, because it will make me mad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yikes! I always thought it made them look weird. I am not sure ever why it is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a sad and unnecessary procedure. I think if people were better informed, tail docking would lose popularity.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are so many things we do to animals, period, that I don't agree with. I for one think animals have a right to life and to be left without human intervention for the sake of our enjoyment, material gain, and even food. I know millions would disagree, however.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hate tail docking and also against it. I know many are PRO this but not for me. Just let the dog look like how they are supposed to be

    ReplyDelete
  23. Animals are also just like us and unfortunately they cant tell their pain like us. We should understand their pains too. But thanks for soreading the information.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Docking sounds disgusting. I cant believe people do this for cosmetic purposes its wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  25. If docking regards to safety and better health for the dog, I would do it. Because after all, no one is ready to see their pet gone.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Doing it for cosmetic purposes is wrong but if there are safety and health reasons for doing it, I definitely would!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had no idea about this really, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  28. If it's for health reasons than I would do it to my pet. Otherwise I don't see a need for it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh No- Why would we do that? Unless there is a need for it, why do this?

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is SO sad. I would never do this to any animal. Heart breaking, really.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Interesting article. I'm currently doing research on the mistreatment of animals, so I'm definitely going to be reading more of your articles.

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is sad. even if I don't own a dog - I don't support tail docking. Imagine the pain they go through.. I agree tails are important.. when my friend's dog sees me - his tail is wagging like hell as if he welcomes me and misses me...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts